Saturday, July 24, 2010

self-control

I watched some of a MomTV replay in which Vicki was talking about self-control. Controlling our own actions and reactions, both to get rid of the interfering negative behaviors we impose on our children - and to model for them how to intentionally behave positively toward others. It made a big impression on me - that all those times I say something snotty I am actually teaching my kids that it is okay to do that to people. Thinking about this has helped me stay calmer and a bit more on top of my responses, to avoid so many instances where I would normally say something hurtful or damaging to the relationship. I had a conversation with Toby about how I am practicing self-control to get better at it - to avoid being mean - and my hope is that being very up front with him about it will encourage him to follow. I'm not feeling so very thoughtful about everything in the swirl of summertime activities, but this is a recurring theme.

1 comment:

  1. I need to do this more consistently during my walks with the dogs - having trouble lately because my knees are bothering me, and when they pull and it hurts, I'm not very nice back. But it sucks to be doing that...I might start doing more walks where the dogs have the heel by my side to avoid it...keeps us both in a better relationship, even if the dogs aren't having as much fun....

    got so much to write about, too tired now....k

    ReplyDelete