Thursday, November 29, 2012

Today is Thursday. This morning I told Toby I needed to violate DNSN, since he hadn't brushed his teeth since Monday evening. He said, "Really?" I didn't have to say anything else. Our previous arrangement had been that if he missed 3 times in 7 days (3 out of 14 times expected), then he would have to brush at least 11 out of 14 times for two weeks in a row to earn back dessert. I guess without that looming over him, he has not been so vigilant. And I have not been reminding him. Today both kids had their annual physical appointments. All went beautifully until flu shots at the end, even the fingerstick iron check went easily for both. However, Hazel started crying in anticipation before the nurse even came into the room. Toby wanted me to get her out of there so he could get his shot in peace - which also meant alone, for the first time. He went through with it with just a little hesitation, got teary but faced everything with a lot of courage. Hazel HOWLED, and had resurgences of crying with various body pains (arms, hands, mouth, eyes) intermittently over the next two hours. I offered her several remedies and lots of hugs, but watching TV seemed to be the only thing that distracted her from her complaints. All that crying just exhausts me. I am learning to trust Hazel about getting herself ready in the morning, although she does everything last minute which makes me super anxious. She has made her lunch in the morning just a few minutes before needing to leave, each day this week. I am hoping that all this doing-for-herself continues after DNSN ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment