Monday, August 2, 2010

Camp

Today was Toby's first day of camp. He did a week at another camp in mid-July, so a similar routine is fairly recent, and he's been to this camp in previous years. What he needs to do is very much like school: pack his lunch and his backpack (towel and dry clothes for after swimming), get himself up, washed and dressed, get some breakfast, and ready to leave when the timer goes off - then after, clean out backpack and lunch bag. Since it is the beginning of a new routine and he is still only six, I did give a few nudges yesterday (what do you need to do to be ready for camp tomorrow?), and he made his lunch last night. This morning he packed his backpack but almost left for camp without it (do you have everything you need?). Tonight I have not offered any prods - and he is now asleep, his backpack in my car with today's wet stuff. No lunch made, no swimming stuff ready. I am feeling tense but keep trying to remind myself that the worst things that could happen are he misses the bus getting ready, or he goes without any of that stuff and is hungry and can't swim. Not the end of the world. If I can stay quiet tomorrow, I won't screw up the learning. Send duct tape vibes!

4 comments:

  1. Yes! He got out on time with lunch and a towel! I think he forgot any drink, but none of my fears about last-minute hysteria came to pass. I did not say anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the bomb! Toby is the bomb! You are both so capable! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That rocks! I love how being quiet can send the message of trust and capability!

    ReplyDelete