Friday, September 10, 2010

Crisis of confidence

Fests have been very quiet, nearly but not quite absent. A huge improvement in my daily quality of life. A lost dessert prompted Toby to write "I need to have two desserts evry day!!!" on the Problem List. Looking forward to that discussion.

I have been feeling very stumped lately - he has been so fresh, provocative, argumentative, and angry. He seems to have migrated from a mostly Attention/some Power child to a full Power/some Revenge. I feel furious - that means we are in a power struggle (obviously), and to work on the dynamic I am supposed to promote his feelings of capability. I am trying to acknowledge lots of things I see him doing ("It's the end of the second week of school, and you have remembered to make and bring your lunch every single day!" etc.), but it also seems like he's doing less and less. A number of tasks he was doing pretty reliably last year have fallen by the wayside. We are having huge struggles over clothing, food, picking up after himself. Well, huge is relative - no yelling or punishments, just our mutual anger about differences in desires. We had an old agreement about clean clothes, he earns the privilege of choosing his own clothing to wear if he wears clean clothes to school. On the days I have picked out clothes for him, since he wore dirty ones the day before, he just got dressed in other clothes. My goal (clean clothes) was accomplished but he defied the agreement. I haven't done anything to enforce agreements, just restated that the way he earns the ability to choose is by demonstrating the responsibility. It seems to me the problem here (the practical problem, not the power conflict) is that he simply has no internal motivator to wear clean clothing. He has no concern about how he is seen by others in regards to his clothing, and he has not experienced any negative social feedback from this behavior. The status of his clothing seems to have taken on a life as a gauge of power dynamics between us. I tried to unravel my value about clean clothing, and unfortunately I think it boils down to personal prestige and nothing much else. Right now it is looking like the only truthful option is to completely let go of it, shut my eyes and mouth, and let him figure out for himself - on his own *gulp* timetable - whether this is of value to him in his own life. The kid could be in really dirty clothes (underpants 5 days old, people!) until he starts wanting to date. Really.

I also feel like food has taken on the same role. I have some real concerns about his nutritional status, but anything I do only amps up the fight. Again, it is looking like my best hope for deflating the power struggle is to stay quiet. He has been mostly respectful of our basic food agreements (you have to eat 3 different food groups to earn dessert, and only 2 sweet treats a day), so we're not fighting about eating candy for breakfast or anything like that. A drop of disputation: he eats way less junk than the average American kid does in the "nutritious" part of their meal. Deep breath - he'll be fine - and if he's not, his doctor can discuss it with him. He's tiny - 7 years old in 5T clothes - and I know a bit self-conscious about it. I did tell him that he needs good nutrition and at least some protein to grow well. Now I should stop talking and nagging, and give it some time. He has a check-up in November, maybe I can have a private conversation with the doctor beforehand.

I have asked him a few times what he thinks should happen if agreements aren't kept. I want to stay away from a punishment model, of removing privileges - but there are several that he is enjoying but not earning. One idea is to start from scratch - tell him he has no privileges until they are earned, and give him the list of responsibilities that we agreed on last year. I don't want to be a big meanie, I want to be positive and supportive and emotionally available! I am not feeling good about all this these days.

3 comments:

  1. I know how you feel. My dd (8) seems to always want to wear the same clothes. She only showers when I remind her on Saturday nights. I make her take a shower and wash her hair before church on Sunday. She will even put dirty underwear back on after her shower if I don't check. Ugh. I hate it but mostly I am letting it go.

    We're having lots of aggression and frustration on many levels here at our house too. I'm putting it to the transition and swelling of the new school year. I am doing my best not to fill that space right now. Just allowing the swell and moving forward with goals. We are beginning to settle in and then we will come back and build a roadmap together for a successful school year.

    Baby steps all the way. hang in there, he will not be wearing dirty underwear when he dates. That said, I'm not above going in and taking dirty clothes out of her hamper so she can't wear them again when they are filthy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were struggling over bathing, also - so I asked him to come up with an idea about how he wanted to wash all over with soap and shampoo his hair at least once a week. I invited him to propose any plan that met those minimum criteria - and he picked baths on Monday nights. I hope putting him in charge solves that problem.

    He has swimming on Thursdays - if I can grab his dirty clothes when he changes for swimming, and when he takes his bath, he'll have to put on clean underwear at least twice a week. He doesn't mind going commando either - which, with no baths, is really pushing the envelope.

    Hearing that you are letting go of your DD putting her dirty undies back on makes me feel not so bad. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, lordy, just wrote a HUGE comment, and it disappeared into the ether! Well, natural consequences will hopefully teach me to copy my comments when the computer seems to be doing something wonky...!

    I had a fun riff about clean and dirty clothes - mostly recent musings about how clean clothes and pajamas were SO important back in the day when the day clothes would get so dirty from farm or kitchen work, and how sometimes my clothes at the end of the day are as good as clean (not that often, but sometimes, definitely). Things our kids make us think about! Nothing really useful, I fear, but intended in appreciation of you and other mommas bringing up the issue of clean and dirty clothes with our kids.

    It also seems to me like Toby is doing great with your agreement about the clothes, in that he's accepting the consequences with no fuss. He's just not doing what you'd like him to do (ie, clean clothes daily), BUT he's living up to the agreement really well. (Hm, maybe some revenge energy could be coming from the feeling that he's living up the agreement but that's not enough???) With what he's choosing, maybe y'all could have some fun sniff games and compare 1-2 day old clothes and see if there's any difference! ;)

    One thing that helps us sometimes when Fiora is getting really resistant is to be generous with ourselves - to play chase (her favorite game!), or have a tickle fest, or get excited about doing some drawing or clay with her, or make silly faces at each other, or put on some good music and dance. It's like a reminder for us all that even this big responsibility stuff is all about being able to enjoy each other, that's our bottom line, and that's what matters to us. It doesn't feel like a lesson, I'll hasten to add, rather it's like a heartfelt reminder.

    And I gotta say, that parenting with courage session has really helped me recognize how often I offer my decisions using external ideas rather than decisions from my own sense of myself, and fiora definitely responds better to the latter! Hmmm, perhaps I should post....

    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete