Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Improvements

I have to admit, since I let go about clean clothes, bathing, picking up clothes off the floor, and bed-making, I am less of a crazy bitch. Toby has been great about our Monday evening bath agreement, no resistance at all and totally independent except for our tricky broken shower door. Lots of dirty clothes but I think he has worn 3 different shirts to school each week, so not horrible (underwear, um...). I have been scooping up his dirty clothes during the two times a week that he reliably takes them off - bath night Monday and swim lesson Thursday - so he is getting into the routine of not putting dirty clothes back on (he resisted this at first!). Soon I will gradually hand that over to him. Dessert has been a hot issue and very confusing, also playdates - so I need to back off of both of those too. Thinking a lot about appreciations for spouse...

2 comments:

  1. HURRAY!! Good job mom!!

    I used to tell my dd she HAD to bathe 3x a week, and one of those days had to be Saturday and that was the day she HAD to wash her hair. I wouldn't want the hairy eyeball from anyone at church. :) She always asked me to help wash her hair, she's 8! I knew she *could* do it because she had, she just didn't want to. Plus I had to remind, nag and argue her into it.

    Now that I have let it go she is deciding when to shower and is washing her hair all by herself. I still ask about the dirty underwear. Like you said, often I just scoop it up. Then she doesn't have a choice.

    Baby steps for all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sounds like it feels pretty good? I know that's tough to do, bravo for you!!

    I don't know if it helps at all, but sometimes Fiora goes a week without a bath! Our evenings are hectic enough with her independent spirit and my late work nights that we haven't pushed it. Of course, at least she enjoys baths and when she wants to or is dirty she'll happily take a bath most of the time - which is a triumph considering that as a baby she did NOT like them. ;) And she gets her hair washed maybe once a month? (It doesn't get greasy, so it's not that hard to let it go.) She's scared of soap and water in her eyes. But now...she's starting to experiment with getting her hair wet on her own, and instigating hair washing on her own - that shocked me, but I'm so pleased with that choice.

    ReplyDelete