Sunday, April 11, 2010

All in under 20 minutes

Rockin' Family Meeting, once everyone finally arrived. After Appreciations where everyone said something for everyone else, Toby presented his Problem ("It feels like my ears are going to fall off when there is a loud noise, more times than you can count") and we each gave solutions:
Toby - he could leave the room
me - we could put duct tape on his ears so he doesn't have to worry about them falling off
Dan - we could all start making as much noise as possible, because when you are doing it yourself, it doesn't bother you

Toby initially chose the duct tape (!) but Dan gave it a fist because he thought taking the tape off would hurt, and the solution can't hurt anyone. So then Toby chose his own solution for the next 7 days, and I said I would also use it because when I hear loud noise I feel like my head is going to explode.

Also, I introduced the Contributions cards and we had a discussion about what each one meant in terms of actual jobs. These were all from the kids, we didn't give any suggestions:
Kitchen - wash dishes, wipe counters every evening
Dishwasher/compost - empty compost every day, empty dishwasher when clean
Dining room - set table, wipe table and vacuum under table after dinner
Laundry - either start a load or finish a load every day
Bathroom - wipe counters and floor
So interesting, some of these are way more than they have ever done. Then we picked out of a bag and Toby stuck them on the new velcro board. Can't wait to see how this goes.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds great! I'm getting to where I can't wait until we start contributions. :) Already, with some guidance from Lori, Fiora is starting to do more cleaning up (and the complaining has decreased about it, too...).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me, too, Lizzie -- I am anxious to have the kids start defining what needs to be done around the house! We aren't ready for contributions yet, but I so WANT to get there! :)

    ReplyDelete