Thursday, April 29, 2010

I know I should't have

Of course I know this story is a perfect example of what we're not supposed to do anymore. And I also know I did it in a quest for Personal Prestige via my child. So we will see what repercussions unfold.

A couple of months ago, Toby and his friend were talking about the school talent showand how he was going to dance for it. At the time, they weren't even sure if it was open to first-graders. About two weeks ago, a paper came home with all the details and dates for signing up, permission slips, rehearsals, etc. Toby said no, he didn't want to be in it. I was disappointed since he is a wild, adorable dancer, but of course it was his choice, fine. I held onto the paperfor a few days, thinking he might change his mind, but eventually threw it away.

This morning at the bus stop, the friend's mother asked me if he was in the show, and I said no, he didn't want to. She responded, "that's funny, Kelly said he signed up with her." No mention of this to his parents! Permission slips were due yesterday, try-outs were today after school. For him to be able to do it, I would have to go to the school, sign a permission, write a note saying to keep him after school for try-outs, and then come back at 3o'clock with some music for him to use.

And I did it.

Yes, what should have happened was for me to do nothing, and been prepared to empathize with his disappointment at not being able to perform this year. I was driven by my own pride and desire to show him off. How much did he learn that I will save him if he drops the ball? We will see the next time this sort of situation comes up. I knew I shouldn't have, but dang, he's cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment