Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Big kids

Toby did his dolphin report about 98% independently the other day - he only asked me for a little help searching around a website for the specific information he was missing. He typed it all up and made a very accurate illustration. He brought the report and the diorama to school today, two weeks ahead of the due date! A "science award" paper came home with him, which he taped to his closet door for display. Proud of himself!

He's also taken the Talent Show dress rehearsal thing to heart. Today was the last one and tomorrow is the show. He was looking all over last night for the same shirt he wore, randomly, for the first dress rehearsal. It was in the bottom of the dirty laundry basket - but he wore it today, refusing to wash it last night. Stinky! But this is his version of responsibility, following the instructions that he has to wear the same thing for both rehearsals and the show. I did encourage him to hand it over for washing this evening.

This weekend was Hazel's first experience of buying something with her own money! We were visiting my mother, where there is a small general grocery a couple of blocks from her house. Right after Family Meeting, she said, "I want to go to the store and buy something with my two monies!" ($2). We walked over there and she looked at lots of things, and decided on a big fat pickle from the old-fashioned pickle barrel. They sell by the pound and miraculously it was exactly two dollars. She was so happy! She did drop it on the ground on the walk home, but a little rinsing and good as new. I had to remind my mother that Hazel was not obligated to share it, even if she didn't want to eat it - it was hers to do with as she liked. Toby forgot his peppermint patty when we were packing up to leave, and my mother did ask me if she should give it to him (no). He hasn't mentioned it. I don't know if she is going to save it for him, or have herself a little treat...

5 comments:

  1. LOL, so funny that for her first purchase Hazel chose a pickle of all things! So cute to picture her making that purchase.

    Way to go, Responsible Toby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So it's the three of us all commenting on each other's posts, eh? Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I'm kind of wondering who's even reading our blogs anymore besides us! Doesn't matter --this works for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey can I join the club?! :) You all inspire me! And this is totally working for me too.

    ReplyDelete