Sunday, June 6, 2010

A tidbit

Just another example from the daily grind of PonT in action:

As we were getting into the car, Toby asked to use my phone. Then Hazel also wanted to use the phone. Toby suggested he use it on the way to our destination and she could use it on the way back. She didn't go for that and started whining. Then he said, "You can use it on the way there and I'll use it on the way back." Great! I thanked him and as I was buckling her into her seat, he said, "Actually, I want to use it on the way there." She started howling and then he started howling, so I said, "Let me know when you guys are ready to go," and shut the door. I took in the sunshine for a minute to two until he knocked on the car window. I opened the door and asked if they had come to a solution - he said, "I don't know" as he held his hand out for the phone. I asked if they needed me to make the decision. When Toby said yes, I told them my decision was that the phone stays in my pocket. He started crying loudly as I walked around to the driver's door, then pulled himself together and said, "She can use it on the way there." Again, I said, "Great! Thanks." As we were driving, I commented that they will probably usually like their own solutions better than mine, and Toby agreed. From start to finish, the whole drama was about 4 minutes, with I think no bad-feeling residue. He, if not she, got the message loud and clear that I will not mediate or get sucked into their disputes, and I am happy to take charge if they opt for that but it is to their advantage to work it out themselves.

1 comment: