Thursday, June 3, 2010

Power

Toby has been pissing me off. He wouldn't try the food I made for dinner last night; he wanted me to make his sandwich instead; when he made it he left the bread crusts on the kitchen floor; he wanted me to bring him a washcloth to wipe up his spill; he left the washcloths on the floor; then after I asked him to put them in the laundry, he threw them near but not in the laundry basket. He's been mean to his sister. Then at bedtime he wants to snuggle and doesn't want me to leave until he's asleep. I have managed, I think, fairly well at containing my temper and asking questions instead of yelling to deal with these situations. The thing to remember here is that he's seeking power, trying to taunt me into a power struggle - and the remedy is to support his movement toward greater capability. Since he was sick a couple of weeks ago, he has been asking me to do all sorts of things for him that he'd been doing reasonably independently before. I need to gently back out again and encourage him to keep trying. Here is my new approach - instead of saying, "I'm confident you can figure this out." He wants me to grate the cheese for his pasta and to spread the peanut butter on his sandwich, because he doesn't do it as well. I asked him if he would like to be able to do these things the way I do, and he said yes. So I responded, "Okay, then that's something for us to work on together." Just his body language seemed more receptive to that, than to just saying I knew he could do it himself.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, how cool! He really wants to learn.... Fiora is so different, she does NOT want anything to do with teaching, wants to learn all by doing right now. It's great to hear your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm getting frustrated just reading this--I feel your pain! Where do you think the sudden desire to engage you in power struggles is coming from? Has something changed (in the household, in his life, with him, with you?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm getting some of this at my house, too. But I think for us it's a bit of push back. The kids have made great progress with contributions, so they seem to be fighting more or intentionally doing stuff to piss with me. I'm doing my best to hold my own. {{Hugs}}

    Good thinking, engaging him with learning and offering to spend time teaching him. Most of the time when the kids are pushing my buttons it's because they want/ need time with me. They need to feel they are important to me. I need to focus more on the Crucial C's and encouragement.

    Here's to a great summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, everyone. It's funny, just when I most want to lay down the law, that's the time I need most to back up and reflect. Lori, my guess is this is another attempt to test my resolve - like Flockmother's "show me you deserve my respect." This is what it feels like to me. Maybe even "you say you believe in me, but do you really?" Maybe some of the pushback Sarah described, "I am doing all these new things but I am still your little guy."

    ReplyDelete