Monday, June 21, 2010

Visit to school

I went to Toby's class last week for an event they were putting on for the parents. I got to see all the other reports and dioramas. There was one other diorama that looked like it had actually been made by a first-grader. The mother of the girl with the biggest, most elaborate one said to me, "I got a little carried away with this one. I love science projects!" So I have to remember that all the fancy projects looked as though they were even designed by a parent, as well as parent-assisted in construction - the children do not have ownership. It is good for my child for me to allow him to have one of the simplest projects in the class. It is good for him to look at the other projects and decide what he wants his future projects to be, on his own, not from my suggestions.

After the class jeopardy game and the class play, the teacher said she had a special treat for us. My child got up in the front of the room and danced his talent show solo for all the parents, while the rest of the class followed the teacher in a conga line around the room. Why does he never mention these things at home? It was thrilling for me, I was very proud of his self-assuredness. I tried really hard to keep my comments encouraging instead of praise. It's a really long song, but there are these adorable bursts of energy every once in a while.

1 comment:

  1. That's so awesome!! He looked pretty darn calm as the dancing star, and I love how he interpreted the energy of the music - oi, so cool!

    And I loved what you said about the children not having ownership. That's so much more important than having one's parent make one's project. I can even think back to school, and I wouldn't have WANTED my parent to do my project - unless I was majorly insecure....

    ReplyDelete