Monday, June 7, 2010

Missed the bus

Today was a big test for me and I did it! I stayed quiet and let some natural consequences play out. Toby forgot all about his timer and getting out for the bus on time. He read books and played a little pinball game. He did brush his teeth and get his backpack ready, but is wearing dirty clothes from yesterday. The morning went along, I made breakfast for myself and Hazel, we ate, I cleaned up, started getting her out of her pajamas... He usually goes out for the bus a few minutes before 8 and it comes a few minutes after. At ten of, I resigned myself to the fact that he would not be on that bus, and let out all my tension with a deep breath. I literally bit my tongue to stop from saying anything to nudge him to notice. Finally, he brought me his timer and asked me to set it for him, at 8:05. I said, "Oh, it's five after, it would have gone off already." He said, "Let's go!" and we went out, leaving a mostly-undressed Hazel in the house. I figured the bus had already come and gone, but out we went, to see it driving down the street away from us. There was the option of running after it to the place where it comes out of a cul-de-sac, but he said, "maybe we should just drive."

Now - refusing to drive a 6-year-old to school the first time he misses the bus on his own, is way beyond what I can stomach. It is more than 2 miles away. If I really had some reason I couldn't do it promptly, I would have made him wait, but it was fine to take him this morning. I felt like just the impact of missing the bus is enough for him digest today.

When we got back into the house, he ran over to Hazel and started pulling her pants onto her. He kept telling us to hurry, hurry. I told him we had a little time since the bus has to stop at everyone's house on the way, so I got ready but not frantically (as I did when he missed the bus on the first day of school!). He was buckled in the car, waiting for us as Hazel and I put on our shoes. He told Hazel to get into her car seat "as fast as you can." When we got to school, he kept telling me to hurry, to park, to come - although there were hoards of other parents dropping off kids and he was clearly not late. I think this made a big impression on him. He said a few times on the way, "I will not forget my backpack, I will not forget my backpack." Can't wait to see how he remembers the timer from now on!

2 comments:

  1. You are my HERO! I have such a hard time letting my dd (8) be late for school. I used to walk her to school every morning, but now she walks by herself. If the crossing guard isn't there she wants me to walk her. I really, really like her walking by herself. So I nag. But who am I kidding, I nagged before that, too. You are my inspiration. Natural consequences are the best teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it hilarious, we are applauding each other for our kids missing the bus? Counter-intuitive.

    ReplyDelete