Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Bits

A few little quickies on these most recent topics of interest:

Really embarrassed to admit this, but both last night and tonight Hazel just totally refused to go to bed. Both nights she ended up falling asleep on the couch while watching the Olympics with Dan, around 10 o'clock. Last night she woke up and came in around 1, asked to nurse - I showed her the duckie lamp was off and she cried a little but did go back to sleep. This happened again around 4:30 but again much easier, faster willingness to go back to sleep. The least disruptive night we've had in about the past week, not counting bedtime.

Later in the day she asked me to turn on the duckie lamp. I asked her what it means when the lamp is on and she said, "Mee mee time!" Then I asked her what it means if she wakes up and the lamp is off: "More sleep." The girl is quick! So between this conversation and our much improved night last night, I am hoping for at least as easy a time tonight.

Tonight Toby helped Hazel clear her dishes by bringing them to the doorway of the kitchen himself, and then coaching her to carry them the rest of the way to the counter.

Zero potty accidents today, still at one pee on the floor in four days. She was naked a lot this evening, and at one point grabbed her crotch and said, "I pee!" as she looked at the floor. But she hadn't. She ran to the bathroom and filled her potty. I think this was her first time consciously holding it in until she got there, awesome progress!

Oh, also - my mother is visiting, for the first time since literally Day 1 of DNSN Week. She wants so much to be a help to me that she is constantly cleaning up after the kids, before they even have a chance to do it themselves. And telling them how great everything they're doing is, and how proud she is of them. Once you're entrenched in this, it all becomes glaring. I just started thinking about what it might look like to apply the 4 C's to her - I am not very generous with her at all and possibly it could really improve our relationship.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, awesome about the evenings! These toddlers are so smart. Having a clear signal really does help them take control of their lives in a certain way. That's so cool.

    I've been wondering about how to help Fiora keep moving towards bedtime, instead of always finding ways to fight it. Reading a book in her bedroom has stopped the crying, but it has been replaced with the dreaded noodling! Hm, perhaps I should post about this...and read more in Sleepless in America!

    ReplyDelete