Thursday, February 25, 2010

Follow up

The more I process it, the more I understand that this Activating Event is the single most pervasive factor shaping my parenting style. It has played a role in my choices about sleep, breastfeeding, priorities, discipline, and activities. In where to live and how often to see grandparents. Understanding that there are so many assumptions on my part, about how my children might be feeling in a certain situation, opens the door to consider:
a) is this really what they feel here, regardless of whether it is what I would feel?
b) is their identity threatened by these feelings in the way that I imagine?
c) in which situations do they really need my support?
d) if I dismantle this belief/emotional response, what will my parenting look like?
e) what resources can I use to help me dismantle it?

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Those are some powerful questions. As good as any I have heard from some of the best coaches in the country. I do hope you will share your insights. This is good stuff.

    ReplyDelete