Sunday, January 17, 2010

Normalizing?

Our ski trip got cancelled because the friends we were travelling with had a death in the family, and we had small-child and broken-toe issues that were going to be difficult to deal with anyway. That means that our DNSN week ended prematurely and we have two days at home before the next show. So we're trying out what it looks like to expect Toby to do what he can, and to share work.

He spontaneously took care of several things today that he previously always asked to be done for him, like getting drinks, his breakfast, and now he's changing the batteries in one of his toys. We divided the dinner clean-up jobs, and he actually got excited to wipe the counters with his spray bottle and microfiber cloth. He did ask me to help make his bed again, and I said "sure" and sat in his room, giving tips while he did it. He asked me if it was good, and I asked him what he thought - "It's great!" He said I wasn't helping, and my reply was that I was helping by teaching him how to do it without needing help. Overall, he did more things for himself, and was more receptive and cooperative when asked to do things. Breakfast dishes were still on the table at dinner though!

One persistent problem I haven't mentioned yet is Hazel at bedtime. I have no idea what to do about this. She won't go to bed until Toby does and usually is very loud and boisterous for a long time after lights out. She often jumps out of bed and runs out of the room. She had a fabulous nap and bedtime routine going for a long time, where we nursed and then I put her down awake but drowsy, and she fell asleep herself when I left the room. That all just suddenly evaporated when we moved her into a bed - new-found freedom! This was months ago, I don't remember when, and following her lead. And ever since, she has demanded an adult in bed with her to fall asleep - if we get up, she gets up. It's annoying and exhausting. I often fall asleep and miss my evening. I can't figure out what it could possibly take to get her to stay in bed.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    So - I just got to this one. Missed it somehow. Maybe you have solved the sleeping problem or gotten some insight by now, so let me keep reading and then I might be back with a question or two for you too ponder.

    ReplyDelete